Hi,
I've been trying to connect to the Internet from Linux but without
success, I hope someone on the list can help me.
I'm using a dual-boot WinXP/Fedora Core 1 setup, and can connect from
Windows without a problem.

My connection is through an Ethernet card connected to a Motorola SB4200
cable-modem. My ISP is Netvision and my cable company is Matav (I live
in Haifa).

First thing I did was to setup my Ethernet card using
redhat-config-network as detailed in http://www.iarc.org/~ezaton/cables
for people who need to use a dialer.

After itdown and ifup I saw using /sbin/ifconfig that eth0 was up and
running.

Then I downloaded the connection tarball from Netvision, and after
following the instructions in the readme (editing the files
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets) I ran the cablestart
script.

All the steps seem to be going well (I tried running them manually) up
to the ./pptp-linux call. There the script seemed to encounter a
problem, only I don't know what problem. If I do /sbin/ifconfig I get a
ppp0 entry for a short while (less then a minute) but then it stops. The
only place where I saw anything suspicious is in /var/log/messages where
I see a line complaining that ppp-compress 21 can't be found, or
something like that.

Has anyone with my setup (Netvision/Matav) been able to connect to the
Net? What am I doing wrong? Should I be using a different pptp binary?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance,