[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Oron Peled wrote:
> it (didn't use DOS anymore, and the modem was busy doing PPP) I kept
> one thing -- The "contact list" was a flat text file with names and numbers
> (pretty unusual for DOS/Windows programs).

Very nice. Just the style UNIX advocates for.

No for the flame war - which is a better CRM package: Vi or Emacs?

But don't you miss the need to be able to type in part of a person's
name in the Mozilla/Mutt/Outlook compose window and have it
auto-completed?
I setup an LDAP server at home (and made it accessible over the net),
but still haven't got around to configure it.
Anyone else did that?

I did that. I use LDAP now for authentication and mail routing for all 4 of my enterprise network users.
I also used PHPGroupware as a front end to enter contact information so I can access it via Mozilla and such. I since dropped phpgroupware and am Using TUTOS which uses an SQL back end.
LDAP has the following shortcomings (as far as I am concerned)
1. ACL's are external to the directory, which makes it hard to have private, public and shared contacts.
2. There is a shortage of reasonable front ends for data entry tools which comply with standard schemes. rolodap and phpgroupware are the only ones I have seen so far. There are general purpose interfaces which give you access to the whole directory tree and allow you to preform a lot of functions, and you can always write up LDIF files... But, no simple phone book style data entry.

Just a note, if you allow external access to your LDAP server, be sure to use SSL. If you don't keep security related or sensitive information and you don't can about other people reading your phone book, you can use normal access, but make sure you use an anonymous connection.

--Amos

Gil Freund              Sysnet consulting
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.sysnet.co.il
voice: +972-52-676906 Fax: +972-8-9356026