On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, shany pozin wrote:

> http://www.flashmobcomputing.org/
>
> Can't our community do that also ?
>

> Shany

It sounds like a pyramid scheme.

The main incentive they give for
participating in the Flashmob, is being able to decide what the
supercomputer will be used for. But this only implies to the people who
set the flashmob cluster up, namely the organizers.

In other words, they might have some problem they want a supercomputer
for, so they organize many people to bring they PCs and go through a lot
of hussle, in order to temporarily donate they CPUs. I searched their
site for what they will run in this first time they create the cluster,
and could not find it, so it might be anything, including cracking.

The people who donate their CPUs certainly do not get a say this time.

Another aspect, is that they claim that the flashmob cluster will be a lot
cheaper (in housing etc.) than other super computers, for example the
recent Apple Supercomputer at Virginia Tech. But where do they intend to
save, except in the costs of the computers themselves, which people bring?

Regular PCs need air conditioners just as much as "real clusters", and
even more, because they were not built to be stacked together. Will all
those computers just heat, without air conditioning?

How about network? The famous Virginia Tech cluster has Mellanox
networking (Infiniband, Israelli company, BTW). This means they have
really fast communication. They do not say anything about
installing expensive network cards in the computers - actually,
they talk of hubs, and not even on switches. Regular network cards are
usually 10-100 ethernet. If you really want to make it into the top 500 of the
supercomputers, you must have more serious network means. Here goes the
other incentive they supply.

In short, I would not bother bringing my PC to a flashmob.

Orna.