On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Orna Agmon wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, shany pozin wrote:
>

> > http://www.flashmobcomputing.org/
> >
> > Can't our community do that also ?
> >

> > Shany
>
> It sounds like a pyramid scheme.
>
> The main incentive they give for
> participating in the Flashmob, is being able to decide what the
> supercomputer will be used for. But this only implies to the people who
> set the flashmob cluster up, namely the organizers.

:)

> In other words, they might have some problem they want a supercomputer
> for, so they organize many peopleto bring they PCs and go through a lot
> of hussle, in order to temporarily donate they CPUs. I searched their
> site for what they will run in this first time they create the cluster,
> and could not find it, so it might be anything, including cracking.

i don't think.
aparently they want to draw some attention: i haven't heard about the
SF Uni much ...probably another mass media trick.
but i am not reading much except manpages/docs lately..
[and i don't remember any man pages from SFU :) ]

but the part "Mob" can show some nasty intentions ...

> The people who donate their CPUs certainly do not get a say this time.

you are wrong, you get a T-shirt, it is a say:
"I gave my computer into flashmob to calculate something....
 not sure what it was...
 for `at least one student's tesis`.."

> Another aspect, is that they claim that the flashmob cluster will be a lot
> cheaper (in housing etc.) than other super computers, for example the
> recent Apple Supercomputer at Virginia Tech. But where do they intend to
> save, except in the costs of the computers themselves, which people bring?
>
> Regular PCs need air conditioners just as much as "real clusters", and
> even more, because they were not built to be stacked together. Will all
> those computers just heat, without air conditioning?

this is the point.
i think what they really intend to do is finally start air conditioning
at their uni: it is probably cold in there, so they bring up many pc's,
make them calculate PI to 10^100000000000000000 digits,
and in the meanwhile they have a fully air conditioned place...
we think of air conditioning as of cooling... some people don't.
usually clusters are specially designed to be less:
noisy and volume-eating.. but regular PCs will be the oposite..
i think one might need a good shooting range hearing protection
headset.

> How about network? The famous Virginia Tech cluster has Mellanox
> networking (Infiniband, Israelli company, BTW). This means they have
> really fast communication. They do not say anything about
> installing expensive network cards in the computers - actually,
> they talk of hubs, and not even on switches. Regular network cards are
> usually 10-100 ethernet. If you really want to make it into the top 500 of the
> supercomputers, you must have more serious network means. Here goes the
> other incentive they supply.

this is another point of heating. you probably haven't seen my 2nd
remark when you wrote this.i think the hubs are intended to be coffee/cat
heating points, since they all will be very hot.
switches would be much colder.

> In short, I would not bother bringing my PC to a flashmob.
>
> Orna.

i would neither.