On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:26:07AM +0200, Stiven Andre wrote:
> Hi list.
> Sorry to be a bit off topic. I am about to buy myself a new notebook. I

I do not think this is off-topic.

I heard a rumor that IBM intends to provide full support for linux on
its thinkpads, and move a significant amount of its employees to linux
on thinkpad. I can't currently find a proof, but searching google for
'thinkpad linux support site:ibm.com' does bring, in the second hit,
a list of certifications (made by others - mostly linuxcare RIP, RH and
SuSE) for various thinkpads. You might want to contact IBM officials or
dealers and ask about this.

I do have to note that older (3-4 years old) HP laptops worked for us
better than 1-2 years old thinkpads. I still didn't have an experience
with newest thinkpads, though. But the main problem with the newer
thinkpads was when connecting to an external monitor/beamer and I have
a feeling this problem is unrelated to IBM, but is general to most
radeon-based laptops. It's also not that important for most people,
unless you need it to give lectures.

If you do manage to get more concrete information, I would love to hear
it, and think many here would too.
--
Didi