From: Micha Feigin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 11:08 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Debian with Exim4

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:09:24PM +0200, Nachum Kanovsky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working with debian unstable, and when I boot the system, I will
> sometimes get a very long wait on 'Staring MTA:'.

I am experiencing the same delay when booting with no network cable. Its a
network timeout. Try disabling starting the network interface in
/etc/network/interfaces and see if that kills the wait, or boot with a
connected network.

> I am working with exim4.
> The only thing I want to configure exim4 to do is to send mail using
> an external smtp server. I receive mail from an external pop server,
> and that works fine.

I think you need to configure exim for mail sent by smart host, no local
mail delivery.

> Please tell me how to do this, and also how to stop the very very long
> pause (about 2 - 3 minutes) on Starting MTA.

The timeout is probably 60 seconds and not 2-3 minutes.