On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:28:35AM +0300, Oded Arbel wrote:
> > I have an rpm based system, which was installed with locale en_US. Now rpm
> > will look into /etc/rpm/macros and see what locales to install fro every
> > package. This means that all my installed app's do not have hebrew
> > translations because of this poor decision.
>
> As far as I know this is not the situation with RPM based distros, at
> least not the ones I am using.
>
> In order to get hebrew support you need to have the translated texts
> installed (if there are ones - not every program has hebrew translations)
> - these are most often installed as part of the main RPM of the software
> regardless of the locales configured on the system. sometimes this can be
> in an additional package that must be installed (like KDE for example).
>
> You then need somehow instruct the software to display the hebrew text.
> this is usually done by setting the LC_MESSAGES or LC_ALL environment
> variables, but it does not require the actull locale package to be
> installed (although that would be nice). again KDE is the exception where
> you need to set that up using their configuration interface

Most packages don't supply hebrew translations. Those that do provide
translations (AFAIK mostly using gettext) supply translation files for
whatever languages they have translations for (like said, either with
the package or in a different package).

Which translation file to use (a file containing the program strings in
the relevant language) is chosen according to the locale (LANG or
overridden by LC_MESSAGES).

Under debian the message files for languages supporting hebrew sit under
/usr/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/