Hi,

Actually my letter concerns another of your questions : about
the function of alt-D etc in the xterm, but I cannot find your
initial letter.
I had this problem some time ago, and as X is built of so many
layers and I did not know where to look for the culprit, I
resorted to comparing all the configuration files between the
new distribution (in which I met the problem) and the old one.
To my surprize the relevant difference was in the line: Option
XKbModel in the XF86Config file. This was pc101 in the old
file and pc104 in the new one.
Changing pc104 to pc101 solved the problem.
Of course, this does not necessarily mean that this is the
cause -and cure of the problem in your case. This might happen
in some other layer of the X system, in your case.
I was using Debian testing and either fvwm or blackbox as
window manager at the time.
Good luck, Avraham