HUJI has a very theortical degree, a lot of courses uses java as
programming langauge, but if you want there are practical courses
which are mainly in c,c++. I don't know how it is in other universaties
but you need to do also at least one course in scheme (and I think ml
but I'm really not sure if its hova).
first year of computer science is very math oriented, and huji's math
courses are not really easy, personaly I don't see the point in all the
math there but it does help a bit if you go the in the theory course.
I think it's a good degree espcially for people who already know
programing and want to learn a bit more than simple programing.

as for system point of view, we do a lot of efford to get opensource
programs around. Our success is much more complete in the student side
, all studets machines for computer science students run linux or FBSD.
A lot less in handasa (which has their own computer running windows for
technical reasons), and around half half between lab student and prof.
our main achivement is getting 99% of the courses to put the material in
pdf/ps format even if they do have powerpoint files.

(if openoffice would be good enough to replace powerpoint/equation editor,
I think we'll be able to get rid for those as well).

Ely Levy
System group
Hebrew University
Jerusalem Israel