guy keren wrote:

after all, a single machine-language op-code is _always_ translated into
the same command - no matter how you name the assembly-language mnemonic.

OK.

as i said above, a machine-language opcode must have a single meaning. it
cannot mean different things in different times (unless you have different
_modes_ for the CPU, which cause it to interpret opcodes differently. i
assume this is not the same when it comes to non-priviledged op-codes).

You got me confused. I'm familiar with assembly language, machine code, and the way one is translated to the other.
BUT - I am uncertain about the different modes the CPU might be in.

You implied in your response that only priviledged op-codes could have double interpertations - Are you _certain_ about that?

It puzzles me too that there might be an option under-which 0x90 could be decoded into something else than the normal XCHG AX,AX. afaik it really causes the cpu to exchange AX with itself... :-)

Please take a look at the response I wrote to Shachar Shemesh, and the following page out of the Intel op-code manual:
http://www.achituv.com/intel_ref_3-462.jpg ("Intel Instruction Set Reference")

Thanks,
Tal.