On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:55:13AM +0200, Danny Lieberman wrote:
> Tazahi
>
> I've been following this thread and I wanted to shed a different light:
>
> I'm not a Microsoft advocate but lets get the facts straight:
>
> a. MS Access developer is free in Office

Not exactly. It is built into Office Pro, but not in all Office bundles.

> b. The Academic licenses for Office are about 30% of the commercial MOLP
> which is about 20% of the single unit list price - so it costs peanuts
> for the Technion to develop in MS Access

I agree it should not cost much. But they might have other
considerations/needs.

> c. MS Access runtime (Jet) is free for unlimited distribution

Jet, as far as I understand, isn't the "runtime" of MS Access. Actually,
there is not such a separation between Runtime and Development time, in
Access. You can't ship an executable+runtime. Jet, as far as I
understand, is the runtime of Access's Database, that is, it's the code
you need to read/write mdb files. So if the app is Access-based, you
need Access. If it's e.g. written in VB, and only needs to rw mdb files,
you can distribute it without limitations (plus Jet and VB runtime).

> d. You can use PHP on a Windows server to access the MDB database by
> ODBC since there is no limitation to using an MDB in a runtime server

Indeed, but that does not help you if the app is Access. If you only
need a DB, mdb might (or might not) be an acceptable choice. But he
talked about Access is a development platform.
If mdb is all you need, there are a few other small DBs. I played a bit
with SQLite and liked it. I am not sure it does everything Jet does, but
it's probably good enough for most such small projects.

> Second of all, with all due respect - this sort of smacks of  "i'll bite
> off my nose to spite my face" (We dont use Access because ... )
>
> MS Access is a widely used tool,and when your students go out looking
> for work they'll have a much better shot at a job with Access than with
> Ruby.
> Think of it like this - it's a tool and engineering schools like the
> Technion are supposed to teach you to find & use tools.  If the best
> tool for this job is a pocket knife thats the tool
> I would expect a Technion grad to use.

Although I am from a CS school, which isn't exactly engineering, we do
have here some discussions about what is our mission and what we should
teach. Clearly we can't (and don't want to) teach only theoretic stuff.
But I am also not sure we should choose our languages/platforms _only_
based on popularity and on increasing the number of relevant lines in
our students' resume. If someone wants to program Access they do not
need to spend 3 whole years here (or 4 in the Technion).

Maybe Ruby isn't known enough. I am pretty sure, though, that PHP will
serve them very well when looking for jobs. It's also probably more work
than Access, so I understand Tzahi's request.

To comment on Tzahi's original questions - I have no real experience
with any of this, but I did see in the past some relevant projects based
on PHP. Search freshmeat. Examples: bforms, bif, browse_edit, dblib,
eleven, phpbuns, phpcodegenie, php_gen, phplabware, phplus, prado,
webgen, yawp. They are from my .whatsnewfm.db.hot, in alphabetical order
:-) I never used any of them.
--
Didi