On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Itay Duvdevani wrote:

Hello, list.

Recently I was wondering about applications like Mozilla's Password
Manager, KWalletManager and applications of this sort.

I assume these applications use encryption to store my passwords on the disk.
Unfortunately, the code is open, and I find this sort of protection
pretty weak (unless I'm mistaking somewhere along the way).
Sure thing.

That's why you can look your password file using a "master password", or using gpg.

Since the source code is available to everyone, I conclude my
passwords can be easily deciphered by anyone who has access to the
code.
Everybody knows which algorithm you used for encryption, and unless you use the master password, everybody also knows what the "secret" key is (which is usually some paramter depending on user name, machine name, etc.)
Anyone who knows these parameters can find the key.

Encryption method is known, and so is the encryption key (whether in
the source code or anywhere on my hard drive).
true (up to usage of master passwords).

My questions are these:
1. Is it so? Is stealing passwords from these application is as
possible as I see it?
yes, see my previous comments. That's why it's important to use master passwords. Even after using them, when the appilcation is active, and you ahve entered the master password, then the secret passwords can be considered decipherred.

2. If I wanted to build a password manager of this sort, and release
it under the GPL, could I choose *not* to release the encryption key
as part of the source code, and keep it hidden and secret from the
world, or this would prevent me from releasing it under the GPL (or
any other free license)? If it will, how can I build a secure FS
application of this sort? Any ideas?
The key is not part of the code.

the same is true for FS, password files, etc. just make sure the user uses a good master passwords, and everything will be fine.

--
Orr Dunkelman,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If it wasn't for C, we'd be writing programs in BASI, PASAL, and OBOL", anon

Spammers: http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~orrd/spam.html
GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3  2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys.)