Ira Abramov wrote:

But the number 1 lesson - backup daily. I have a very active server, the
main site on it is a photographers' forum and on a good weekend some 150
megs of pictures might be uploaded, about a gig of JPEGs are uploaded
each month, and still with a smart usage of the disk space, differential
TARs and rsync I manage to make a very efficient daily rsync of the
nightly backup via cron, and that goes offline on DVDs every month
(should really be every week, but nobody is perfect).
Important note, that last one.

For more creative backup solutions online, contact Lingnu :-)
That's just the thing. Our service is not more creative (except, maybe, encrypting the information we rsync, which is kinda cool, but not really crucial in the grand scheme of things). The most important point about our service is that we realize that no one is perfect, and therefor build the process so that as little as possible needs to depend on a human remembering to do the right thing.

Humans are unreliable things. The less you depend on them, the more reliable your solution.

         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.