On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 12:13:34AM +0300, guy keren wrote:

> the background to my question, is that i find myself going to various
> places to give lectures, and i need to be able to run a linux environment
> with a given configuration. too often i have to rely on other people
> bringing their laptops (and i personally hate laptops).

Are you X86 centric? You can get a Macintosh "mini" from Yeda for about
$700+VAT. It has a 1.4gHz PPC processor, 256m of RAM (may be up to 512 now)
and an 80 gig hard drive, 2 USB 2 ports, firewire, ethernet and a DVI
video port that comes with a VGA adaptor.

A 1.2gHz version with a 40gig drive is about $100 less. It comes with
an open source BSD UNIX operating system with a closed source GUI, and
can also run YellowDog or FC4 Linux.

It is not designed to run on batteries, but AFIK it has a standard
power connector and only takes one DC voltage and people do it.

All you need to use it is an outlet, VGA monitor and USB keyboard and mouse,

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838