Amos Shapira wrote:
My take from your statement is that people just PRECIEVE that OO
is less compatible just because it comes from a different source while
in practice it might have better support for legacy MS documents than
MS Office itself.

It's not just a perception.  I checked.  And I'm a computer geek,
remember?  I checked and if you create a file in MS Office (such as
Word, Excel, Powerpoint), then send it to someone who opens it with Open
Office and makes some changes, then saves it and sends it back to you -
it will not be the same document you originally sent (even without
making changes).  You lose many features, many things will look
different on the screen (and in print) - it's complicated.  If both
sides use MS Office it's not an issue (of course, it has to be version
2000 and above).

When I upgraded from Word 97 to Office 2000 I also had some problems of
incompatibility.  Some old documents looked differently with Office
2000.  But once you upgrade a document, you don't use it with the old
Office version.  So you need to upgrade each document only once.  And
the changes are minor (mainly in Hebrew documents).

If you want to migrate a file from one office software to another - you
have to be a computer geek.  Ordinary people just can't handle it.  And
MS knows it.

Best Regards,

Uri Even-Chen
Speedy Net