Ira Abramov wrote:

> The Linux Users' group is a similar initiative (though if memory serves
> it's less tightly affiliated with P&C, it's a joint marketing gimmick of
> Sun, SGI, IBM, Emet and a few others where the "users" in the title actually

You forgot Oracle, the life and the soul behind this organization.

> means "companies that try to make a few more thousand dollars by waving

To the best of my knowledge, they PAY a few more thousand Dollars,
rather than MAKE them. But this is only my own opinion.

> a tux flag". In fact, AFAIK the only member of the community that ever
> witnessed one of their meetings (were there more than one?) Is Shachar
> Shemesh,

And Doron Ofek.
And Eli Marmor.
And some others.
    ^^^^
s/some/many - if you use the language "ever witnessed one of their
meetings" (Yonatan Ben-Avraham, Shlomi Fish, etc., to name some
"witnesses").

In the last two conferences, there were about 18 lectures of members of
the community, while Oracle and P&C, together, had one or zero.

In the first conference, there was a plenary, and 4 sessions; 3 of the
4 (IIRC) were directed by members of the community, and most of the
lecturers were members of the community. All of the 7 lecturers and
panelists in the session that I directed were of the community.

In the second conference, there was a plenary, and one session -
directed by me. It was long, so I could bring 6 lecturers and
panelists from the community, and yet had the time to bring Yossi Vardi
and Zeev Suraski (PHP co-developer and the ZE of ZEND. He described the
difference between the business model of MySQL - dual license based on
GPL - and ZEND - much more complex model, because PHP license is BSD. So
you may count him too as "member"). Of course, there were lectures of
members of the community also in the plenary.

In the meantime between the conferences, there were 4 meetings of
KAHAT, three of them directed by members of the community (me, and
Gilad and Shachar IIRC. Actually, even the fourth - Zvi Bruner - is far
from being called "non-member").

Except for these narrow minded fixes, I agree.

--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]