It really depends which quickcam you got..

I have Logitech Quickcam 4000 - and it's one of the best, and fully
supported under Linux (although the face tracking feature is not
supported).

If you want more then 640x480 resolution with good frame rate, it will
cost you - a lot more. Go search for USB 2.0 cams and you'll find that
90% of them are actually working with USB 1.1 bandwidth limitation and
up to 640x480 and up to 30 FPS (I say up to, because most of them will
give you 640x480 with 15FPS max before they start pulling some dirty
tricks and heavy compression, which seriously degrates the video
quality).

The sad truth is that webcam manufacturers follow the software
companies like Microsoft with MSN Messenger, Yahoo (Yahoo Messenger),
and AOL (ICQ, AIM) - and none of them really gives you resolution
selection with their Instant Messaging services so all of them are
pretty much stuck with 320x240 (or 352x288) resolution. No demand - no
new features. It's pretty much stuck at this situation for 2 years now
if I recall correctly.

Thanks,
Hetz