On Friday, 24 בMarch 2006 09:11, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> If you travel around rural Asia I would imagine that either wireless
> or Ethernet connections will be few and far between.
>
> In a pinch one can use the solution that we adopted on business trips
> in the years when iPAQs were around but WiFi or broadband weren't (5
> years ago or so): we used to travel with an iPAQ and a cell phone -
> anywhere you are, place the cell phone opposite the iPAQ's IR, dial
> in (you need to know the right numbers, you can dial in directly to
> you ISP in Israel, assuming you have the service, e.g., as a backup
> to your broadband at home), and use your cell phone as a modem. The
> IR link serves as a serial connection. Download your mail, compose
> the replies at your leisure, another call will send the mail on its
> way. I suspect it will still work today.

Today we're using bluetooth to connect the cellular to the laptop/pda -
its slightly faster and you don't need to align the receivers - you can
even keep the cellular in your pocket :-)

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9611212 (204)
+972-54-7340014

::..
AAAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse Anonymous