Peter
As a general approach for tuning a complex, working system, the first step is to identify bottlenecks under real load, that includes both IO rates per process and CPU rate per process. Your method is good for a static system where you have complete control of the applications - I am not sure it is applicable in most production environments - (see my reply to Gilad in a separate thread)

cheers
Danny

Peter wrote:

I think that the gprof output and equivalent is the furthest one can go to appreciate IO stats. I simply measured disk system throughput (using hdparm etc) and then tuned my programs until they ran almost that fast, then stopped worrying. For other types of IO the maximum bandwidth can be appreciated using hardware data and then interpreted as above.

Peter

Danny Lieberman

Call us today!
www.software.co.il - Deliver secure software to your customers