On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:47:03PM +0200, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> My opinion: Some serious debate needs to be occured, whether in
> slashdor or the mailing lists, some sort of "shake up" in the
> GNOME/KDE development community, to remind them that this situation
> cannot be continue, and some diet is required.

OpenOffice and Firefox are not developed by either gnome or KDE.
Actually it seems that KDE apps are reasonably efficient. Gnome uses
Gecko as an HTML rendering engine and thus is not entirely off the hook
regarding FireFox.

> I heard my advocates who recommend people to switch to Linux and use
> KDE or GNOME with 256MB RAM. To them I can say HA HA! go ahead, fire
> the latest GNOME and open 2-3 apps and give the machine a minute or
> so, it will be almost unresponsive. It's better in KDE but not by
> much. If someone wants something speedy, they should look at using
> FVWM, flux box or any other "lite" window manager and use some
> independent applications. I used FVWM with Kopete and KMAIL and
> Konqueror, and the results were pretty good on a 192MB machine. I
> tried to switch to GNOME (yes, stupid decision) and I had to reset the
> machine in order to get my control back.

If you use Konqueror and KMail there isn't much to gain from using fvwm
as the WM (memory-wise).

I tried using KDE recenly in a system with 128MB. Basically usable.
Sadly kword is not usable enough and thus OOo has to be used, which is a

Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                    |  best