On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

And for the amusements of the people in this list who read thus far:

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:29:04AM +0200, Peter wrote:

A digital signature as 'redefined' by me in this thread is a piece of
data that is applied to a message and is of one of the following types:
a) opaque data that appears to be legit but is not b) data that is
related to a message b1) as b) but with exactly one key c) data that is
related to a message via two or more keys

Off-topic and unrelated, but a service I have registered to recently
redefined digital signature to the act of writing my last name properly
(exactly the same as I wrote it in the "digital signature" field of
their signup form.

I needed to "sign" one or two of their forms with this "digital
signature."
:-)

Oh, cool. Clickwrap cancer arriving in the land of bilk and honey. Finally is is 'cmo be america'. Next someone will write a web 2.0 app to fill the form automatically, then they will add captcha to stop that, then ...

You know, when you sign on paper, it actually means authentication, open to graphology analysis etc. and this can actually stand up in court. The electronic signature is more 'fluid'. Hmm, use the service for a few months (in this time the average windoze user will have wiped his disk and reinstalled at least twice, thus erasing any possibility to trace it in your logs) and then claim a refund on the grounds that the digital signature you used on the contract is invalid since it is not certified (or your evil half-brother faked it) ? You know, just to test digital signatures in court ...

not Peter