Thanks for the replies!

I just parted with the princely sum of NIS 312 for a Canon Lide 25. Oh,
well if it doesn't shape up, I can always put it on my wife's Windonkey.

There are a couple of other similar supported "cheapies" like these:
Genius 1200XE - NIS 243
Genius HR7 - NIS 389
Plustek 1200 - NIS 289

I suspect that the main differences are in quality of the electro
mechanical components and scanning speed.

Daniel Feiglin wrote:
> Hello folks!
>
> I am looking for a low end USB flatbed scanner <= NIS 1000, mostly as a
> fax front end and for scanning documents. No fancy photography is
> required. An examination of the Sane site, http://www.sane-project.org/
> as well as a look at the SUSE scanner installation list, crossed with
> what seems to be available in Israel e.g. http://www.zap.co.il/ yields
> about two Epson models (1260, 390) with good or complete functionality.
> I find that hard to believe.
>
> The sort of unit I have in mind should have resolution 1200x2400 or
> better, 48 bit color and A4 size.
>
> I would appreciate any other leads, URL's to Israeli suppliers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

begin:vcard
fn:Daniel Feiglin