On 5/14/07, Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

While I cannot rule out that they did the same for hugemem, it still
leaves in the question of boot time detection.

I'll pose a wild guess as to what is done, and you tell me how likely it
is:
"At boot time, RHEL 5 tests whether the machine has more than 4GB of
ram. If it does, it turns on both PAE and 4/4 split. Otherwise, it's no
PAE and 3/1 split"

Uhm.. I'm not certain. The PAE kernel *is* for >=4GB. (Though, according to
Hetz' observation it seems more like >=3GB)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /mnt] $rpm -qp --qf '%{Description}\n' rh1/Server/kernel-
PAE-2.6.18-8.el5.i686.rpm 2> /dev/null

This package includes a version of the Linux kernel with support for up to
64GB of high memory. It requires a CPU with Physical Address Extensions
(PAE).
The non-PAE kernel can only address up to 4GB of memory.
Install the kernel-PAE package if your machine has more than 4GB of memory.

So it seems you are correct.
Anyhow, AFAIK, up until now (it means RHEL3 & 4) there were no use of PAE.
So, is it possible that PAE technology, in a way, replaces the hugemem?

- Noam