On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 08:18:01AM +0200, shlomo solomon wrote:
[snip]
> I contacted 015 and after being instructed to telnet into one of their
> servers and succeeding (telnet 192.114.186.54 110) they said they had no
> idea what to do (we don't support Linux). The only thing they suggested was
> to lower mtu from 1452 to 1420. I tried but it made no difference. Actually,
> I didn't really expect any change since I haven't changed the mtu for the
> last 7 years and saw no reason for the change.

Can you try pinging to places that you do manage to ping to, with
varying packet sizes (ping -s size)? I think if you get stable results
with up to some limit, then break, you do need to lower the mta to
something a bit more than that limit.

I personally had to lower the mta a few days ago, for no apparent
reason, except that (I guess) Bezeqint changed some infrastructure in
the connection of Actcom (through which I am connected) to them, or
something like that. I decided to not bother with contacting support
as lowering the mta solved my problem.
--
Didi