On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 19:17 +0300, Gadi Cohen wrote:
> 3) PPPoe on Linux is super easy..  As was suggested download all the
> packages while you still have internet (I don't recall off hand what
> you'll need but I'm sure there are some good HOW-TO's online - for
> starters download any packages matching *pppoe* and their
> dependencies).

You'd need rp-pppoe which is the default pppoe client for most linux
distributions. If your distro is anything more recent then about 2
years, then its internal dial-up configuration management UI will take
care of everything for you.

> 4) Yeah, a router handles everything for you, essentially taking the
> role of your PC doing the routing for your network now...   From my
> experience with the routers I've used until now, none of them handled
> high load so well (high load being bittorrent, so probably loads of
> connections) ... actually I think my newish ADSL router/modem is
> running Linux, but I never took the time to test it's routing.

A lot of routers today use Linux internally, but as suggested
previously, I recommend Linksys WRT54G-L. Linksys is very friendly to
open source and offers all the GPL software that their router runs, on
their web site for free download. Virtually all current alternative
firmware for Linux capable routers are originally based on some Linksys
firmware.

I run WRT54G-L with DD-WRT firmware and I'm very happy with it. It lets
me SSH into the router, setup iptables rules as I like, and has many
features and options. My experience with load on the router is ok - if
you run a busy network behind it (I also manage an office LAN behind
such a router) then you might want to increase some limits on the router
configuration, but that is very easy to do using the web based
interface. I tried several other firmwares, some are pretty advanced and
have cool features such as package management, but I went with DD-WRT
because I wanted to have a web based configuration GUI that is easy and
handles all the important functions.

BTW - there are many other routers that will run alternative Linux
firmware: look at the OpenWRT web site for a complete list, but I
suggest to go with Linksys because they are friendlier to open source -
they even have large stickers saying "Open Source inside" on their
packages :-)

--

Oded