Oh - I forgot. Nagios let me do my whole check-through-ssh thing. meaning:
I put the nagios-plugins somewhere on the remote machines and create a
nagios user on each. Configure key authentication for this user on all
the machines. Then I configured nagios to check_by_ssh all the things
I wanted checked. Configuration would have killed me had I not used
the Groundwork Framework.