On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 22:17 +0300, Ehud Karni wrote:
> I have an (official ?) email from the IMOD Encryption Control
> Director that exempt any individual or company that uses e-mail
> encryption for its own needs, as long as the user or company is
> not in "encryption business".

This is very interesting. Not that I doubt the sincerity of the official
from the ministry of defense, but this email - to the best of my
understanding - does not exempt two very common uses of open  source
encryption technology:
  * A consultant (such as yourself) that in a commercial setting helps
another company is setting up encryption based on open source software
(which is not explicitly allowed in the list of allowed means). This
falls under "מוכרים".
  * Anyone that hosts a mirror of open source software collection, some
of it uses encryption (like any Linux distribution). This looks to me to
fall under the "מפיצים" clause in the original email.

As a consultant I find it troubling that by choosing open source
software over commercial software for setting up basic services for
customers (such as encrypted e-mail, backup and/or remote access) I can
find myself in danger of being in violation of the encryption law.

--
Oded