On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 04:38:48PM +0300, Oded Arbel wrote:

> As KVM (using qemu for IO) supports the Xen image format,

KVM and Xen can both run fully-virtualized OS's (a "disk image"), but
KVM does not have support for running para-virtualized Xen images
(i.e., images that have kernels that have been taught that they are
running under Xen).

> I thought I'd give it a try and load the Xen VM. The VM is a Fedora
> rawhide from about a month ago, and have several kernels installed
> on it. When I try to boot it with kvm, no matter what kernel I
> choose, I get these messages when the kernel loads:

You should *not* choose a -xen kernel, but rather the same kernel that
you would use to boot on bare-metal.

> device-mapper: ioctl: 4.11.0-ioctl (2006-10-12) initialised:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>   No volume groups found
>   Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
> Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> And that is it. The Xen VM was installed using logical volume
> management, and it looks like under KVM it doesn't manage to find
> it.

What does your Xen configuration file for running this VM look like?

> If I understood correctly (and I probably haven't), the para-virtualized
> Xen VM's kernel was booting using a kernel that is stored on the host's
> (domain0) file system, right ?

By default, ys.

> how can I mimic the same situation with
> kvm ?

kvm behaves exactly like a bare-metal machine, that is it will first
run the bios, then the boot loader that is installed in the image, and
then run whatever kernel the boot loader loaded into memory.

> qemu command line takes a -kernel parameter that supposedly would
> boot the specified kernel image, but I don't know what to give to it
> and it doesn't seem to like any of the kernel's under the host's
> /boot directory.

You shouldn't need to use -kernel. Just tell kvm to use the image as a
hard disk and boot from it. See the `kvm' script.

Cheers,
Muli