Mati,

Hear. Hear. After lurking on the thread - it's time to put in my 2c..
on the topics of age, compensation, roles and responsibilities and
platforms.

1. There IS age discrimination in programming, especially in Israel, but not
only.   It has to do with many factors but one of the big
ones is compensation - since young programmers are cheaper (at least cheaper
while they are writing code, not cheaper in the product life cycle).  There
is an excellent article in business week called Youth Matters that touches
on this topic in a non-emotional way -
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc20080115_576235.htm

2.What about roles and responsibilities?
a. A young startup (whether staffed by 3 young programmers or 3 old
programmers) needs some minimal division of roles.

We need to think about managerial roles in a software development startup in
terms of  the difference between a CTO and a VP R&D. The CTO will have the
product ideas, he will in many cases write the original core code, he can
pull an all-nighter to write a prototype even at age 60, but he is always a
terrible manager.   The VP R&D has not written code for at least 5 years, he
doesn't have new ideas and can't do an all nighter to hack a prototype, but
he delivers the goods on-time. The best VP R&D's are people persons,
excellent all around managers and very detail and results oriented.

The third person in our 3 man startup needs to know how to sell.

NOTE - i am talking ROLES not TITLES.   Until you hit headcount of 50 -
there shouldn't be titles on business cards and titles
should NEVER be a replacement for compensation.

3. What about platforms?   I detect a note of bigotry in the thread
regarding IDF grads - but at the end of the day, for a Web 2.0 startup you
can choose .NET or Linux + PHP and if you are professional programmers they
will both do the job.  I.e - Web app Although  programmers may  switch
allegiance (from ACS to ROR, from  ROR to PHP, from Perl to JSP etc...) it's
a rare company that switches platforms on a working product.

BOTTOM Line - platform decisions don't really matter, once they're taken
it's a done deal.

Good luck in your startup -
wr
Danny