On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, sara fink wrote:

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:48:41 +0300
From: sara fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Jonathan Ben Avraham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject: Re: major packet loss at hot server

I can't check symmetry. I don't have adsl. In my case the problem
starts at hot. the first 2 hops belong to hot and the 3rd hop is 012.
The 80% packet lost is in the first hop. The 2nd hop another 20%.  I
have MPLS without dialer.

Hi Sara,
If you have access to a machine somewhere that runs tcpdump, then use hping commands from your MPLS to that machine in order to see if the packet loss is occuring on the outgoing or on the return trip. That is, hping out 50 packets. Check to see how many of those get to the target and then check to see how many of those that got to the target got back to you. If there is a more packet loss on the return leg than on the outgoing leg I would suspect a routing problem. If there is more loss on the early hops of the outgoing leg then I suspect either congestion or physical transmission problems with the final repeater or router.

How do I use different routing? Any idea of  which ips should I put?

You can't if you dont have a static IP. Well, I guess that you could check the routing to your first hop out that has a routed IP address by using various foreign traceroute web pages. If the routing problem is low enough and there is only one BGP router through which your packets can pass, then you might not be able to see the routing problem. I was able to see the routing problem that I had at Netvision last week because I was able to access my line from different Netvision border routers because Netvision is pretty big. It was really clear that one particular border router was getting bad information from an internal router.

I know someone who is very nice at 012. She belongs to service dep,
and she promissed to send someone who knows well unix/linux. I will
see what I can do today. Otherwise, www.tluna.co.il is the answer. I
put  last year a complaint there and they started to call me (not vice
versa). The problem was solved.

There is another weird thing which I don't understand: the ip
213.57.43.199 shows
IP address:                     213.57.43.199
Reverse DNS:                    [Timeout]
Reverse DNS authenticity:       [Unknown]
ASN:                            8584
ASN Name:                       UNSPECIFIED (Barak AS)

I don't belong to barak. Someone at 012 told me they have agreements
and they use each router on the way.

Most suppliers have agreements for routing between them instead or or as well as routing through the IIX. In addition many suppliers purchase overseas bandwidth from BBL or Barak/Netvision. You can probably ask Hot if they use Barak/Netvision.

  - yba

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ipall.ch?domain=213.57.43.199

If someone can explain this, I will be glad.