Quoting Amos Shapira, from the post of Tue, 03 Jun:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Ira Abramov
> >
> > I have no idea where that comes from. "apt-get autoremove" takes care of
> > packages that are no longer dependent upon (or is that only in sid?).
>
> But can you mark a package as "nothing depends on it, but I want it
> around" (lower-case "m" in aptitude) vs. "keep it around as long as
> something needs it, but remove it when it's no longer needed by
> anything else" (upper-case "M" in aptitude)?

I don't know. I never looked for that feature (nor did I know it in
aptitude)

so I go "aptitude -m liblala" to mark it you say? I tried aptitude
--help and it's not mentioned.

> > I find aptitude slower to load than even YUM in fully interactive mode,
> > I have no idea why, but nore than once I gave up on it after it takes
> > 4-5 minutes to load on my sid, including after it finishes
> > installing/upgrading packages. I just revert to apt-get and it has very
> > rarely failed me.
>
> Wow - 4-5 minutes is a very long time. Something is weird on your
> system. have you tried strace? disk errors in dmesg? check memory
> consumption? Maybe cleanup the apt-get cache?

I don't have slowness of anything else, so it's not my disk, and it's
not happening with apt-get. specifically it's the phase where aptitude
says "Writing extended state information " at the status line when it's
it finishes an update run ("u") and also when I hit go ("g") and again
on the way back from finishing the "go" action on the way back to the
package selection screen, and finally again once I hit "q" and wait yet
30 more seconds before I get back to my shell prompt. this is a major
improvement since a few weeks ago, when this "Writing ext. state info"
stage would take it several minutes, and I'd just give up and break it
with ctrl-C. but still, it's annoying as hell.

I don't think the cache has anything to do with it, but I run autoclean
daily, and sometimes apt-get clean if I'm short on space.

> Is there an interactive mode for "YUM"? I'd love to see it but so far
> when I asked about it I got "use some gnome-based gui", which I'm not
> going to do since many of the servers are on the other side of the
> world and I'd generally very much rather not have X11 stuff on them.

don't think there is, and don't think I'd like to have one even slower
than the commandline.

> At least as far as I followed up to Etch, aptitude uses apt-get at its
> back and adds lots of intelligence in front of it, it's not just a
> pretty GUI and that's why it's useful on the command line as well.

so why keep the apt-get commandline at all? memory consumption?
apt-get's binary is 127k on etch, while aptitude is 2.6 meg. I prefer a
slightly smarter apt-get over the bloated aptitude that is just too slow
to be useful for me 99% of the time.

> But then again - I'm only up to date more or less with Etch (with very
> few backports), and planning to move my last Etch desktop (at work) to
> Ubuntu as soon as I can.

it's your funural. Ubuntu has proven to be nothing but headache to me so
far.

--
The friendly ghost
Ira Abramov