Hi,

Debian etch (latest stable) distro installed on the above PC results in an
unusable onboard NIC.

/var/log/messages tell me that the NIC is
Jul 15 19:15:54 hostname kernel: eth0: RTL8168b/8111b at 0xf8822000,
00:1d:92:a1:96:19, IRQ 177

The module for it is found and loaded:
Jul 15 19:15:54 hostname kernel: r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.2LK-NAPI loaded

However, the NIC never gets an IP address from DHCP. Even worse, ethtool shows
that it's totally confused as to its identity:
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: FIBRE
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: pumbg
        Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
        Link detected: yes

(FIBRE port when it really should be TP - Twisted Pair)

Google didn't find anything useful. My current workaround is adding another
NIC, which works fine, but is unacceptable in the long term.

This occurs on two different PCs that have the same motherboard, so it's not a
fluke hardware issue.

Also, if I play around with ifup/ifdown AFTER booting it, I can sometimes get
it to work, but only at 10MB/sec (connected to a 100 MB/s switch).

Any ideas?

Rony