From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Rami Rosen
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject: Re: NIC woes with Debian & MSI MS-7507

Hi,
  It is probably a BUG in the driver.

> Google didn't find anything useful

Build your own search engine ; don't use google :)

Accoding to this link, the same issue also occurred (ethtool returns
FIBRE for r8168).

http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg43754.html
Since that this message is from 2007, I would consider getting the linux
driver
from the vendor site:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid
=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

version 8.006.00        is quite recent ( 22/4/2008).

 The second , less probable option,
is that the motherboard does not support this chipset;
There were (very rare ) cases in which such was the case; but these
things happen. This can easily
be checked with their support.

Regards,
Rami Rosen

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:14 PM, ronys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Debian etch (latest stable) distro installed on the above PC results in an
unusable onboard NIC.

> /var/log/messages tell me that the NIC is
> Jul 15 19:15:54 hostname kernel: eth0: RTL8168b/8111b at 0xf8822000,
00:1d:92:a1:96:19, IRQ 177

> The module for it is found and loaded:
> Jul 15 19:15:54 hostname kernel: r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.2LK-NAPI
loaded

> However, the NIC never gets an IP address from DHCP. Even worse, ethtool
shows that it's totally confused as to its identity:
> # ethtool eth0
> Settings for eth0:
>        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
>        Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full
>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Advertised link modes:  Not reported
>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Speed: 1000Mb/s
>        Duplex: Full
>        Port: FIBRE
>        PHYAD: 0
>        Transceiver: internal
>        Auto-negotiation: on
>        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
>        Wake-on: pumbg
>        Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
>        Link detected: yes
>
> (FIBRE port when it really should be TP - Twisted Pair)
>
> Google didn't find anything useful. My current workaround is adding
another NIC, which works fine, but is unacceptable in the long term.

> This occurs on two different PCs that have the same motherboard, so it's
not a fluke hardware issue.

> Also, if I play around with ifup/ifdown AFTER booting it, I can sometimes
get it to work, but only at 10MB/sec (connected to a 100 MB/s switch).