On Wednesday 08 October 2008, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> First of all, you do not want to use DHCP. The actual name of what is
> hapening is called MPLS and it to be blunt sucks. The extra overhead of a
> pptp or more likely l2tp tunnel is IMHO worth it, although if you are at
> the edge of latency problems it will agrevate them.
Not really relevant for my small (5 computer) network. I do use the DHCP
server built into the router, but I "cheat" a bit - since I want each
computer on the network to have a constant internal IP address (makes it
easier to manage and use /etc/hosts), I added the MAC addresses of all
machines to the "reserved IP address" list and specified what IP to give
each. This gives me 2 advantages:
1 - constant IPs on the network
2 - If needed, I can add an unknown computer (for example, if I have a guest
who wants to connect) and DHCP does the rest with no additional setup.

> I simply can't guess without any information about which router you have,
> but a 250 NIS WiFi one you buy here will work if the old one won't.
As mentioned before, I bought the router from Bezeq, so it should be OK. It's
a Siemens SL2-141)

> The biggest problem you will have is that the router does not have enough
> RAM for big routing tables, so if you do lots of P2P, it will have
> problems.
I don't know what "lots of P2P" means, but I don't do much and haven't noticed
any problems with ADSL, so I assume there would be no change with HOT (or am
I wrong?)

> As for reliability, service and speed, the best thing to do is to call
> HOT and ask for their business internet sales office. They offer higher
> speeds, better reliabilty and they will come and fix problems a lot better
> and a lot quicker than a consumer connection. The only downfall besides the
> slightly higher price is that they will not let you combine a business
> class connection with basic cable and a voice line for a cheap price.
If I wasn't clear, I'm talking about a home network (and my current connection
is ADSL 1.5), so the added cost is probably not justified (especially since
the HOT "triple" deal is one of the reasons I'm considering the move) - in
addition to the fact that Bezeq seriously pissed me off recently, but that's
a story for another day :-)

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net