Having reverse DNS point to your fixed IP is not that difficult at all (if I got the thread's idea right).

Been there done that a year+ ago and Bezeq int and 013 Barak agreed on providing this entry in their DNS servers for free, when I already had a fixed IP. The whole thing is really negotiable with ISPs and technically, I guess, its a simple thing for them (perhaps managing those entries is a little challenge). IIRC, bezeq int didn't even argue while 013 barak needed a little persuasion. Both agreed at the end.

As usual, unfortunately, the biggest amount of time I needed to invest in setting this configuration with my ISP was explaining to support people what I'm talking about and trying to get as quickly as possible their business technical support, which where the only ones to understand what I'm talking about and hence to provide it :-)

Boaz.

P.S.,

I'm off of hosting a mail server via a standard broadband account (after several good years of doing so). Moved to a hosting service (www.thinkhost.com) to do that.

Shaul Karl wrote:

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

Shaul Karl wrote:
Take a look at [3-5] of
http://whatsup.org.il/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=45462> Yes, I'll try to solve it. However, experience shows that this is not, by far, a simple thing to ask.

  This difficulty is probably an important reason why MTAs bother about
it in the first place. On the other hand, my understanding is that an ISP client
with a fixed IP get it, or perhaps a reverse pointer forwarding (to his dns),
on demand.

I'll handle it next week sometime and see whether anything changes.

Shachar