Ira Abramov wrote:

Have Ely enforce it by:
* reply-to
* tag the subject
* use the mutt-supported headers
* hack the list server to allow any of the above as a personal setting
for each subscriber (why is it not a built-in feature?!)
* let each reader pick his way.
I'm not sure what those "mutt supported headers are".

Anyway, I've given some thought to the "why is it not a built-in feature" question. I think the "reply-to" field was deemed too dangerous by the mailman programmers (it is explicitly labeled "not recommended" in the GUI), and the subject munging is meaningless to perform on a per-subscriber basis, as it will get right back when people hit "reply".

* Ob: Social hacking - start adding XIL or [XIL] to every post and reply
  here, and see if it catches on, forcing the listmaster to add it
  permanently :-)
Of course, once you suggest that, you also have to take into account the possibility that people will NOT catch on to this. Would you then say that it would force the yay-sayers to accept its absence? :-)

Shachar