On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 08:05:06AM +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> 2009/2/14 Tzafrir Cohen <tzaf...@cohens.org.il>:
> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 01:54:53PM +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> >> I saw somewhere that the Xen hosts provided by VPSLink already have
> >> 1000HTz clocks on them, saving a kernel recompilation.
> >
> > But is it actually 1000Hz?
>
> How can you tell without access to the kernel config? The CPU MHz is 2200.

The experiment below was for sampling the clock Asterisk would get

> > Try:
> >
> > Build DAHDI[*] on that system without installing it:
> >
> >  svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/linux dahdi-linux
> >  svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/tools dahdi-tools

Grr.... Make those two:

  svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/linux/trunk dahdi-linux
  svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/dahdi/tools/trunk dahdi-tools

> >  cd dahdi-linux
> >  make # maybe you also need KVERS, KSRC and such
> >  cd ../dahdi-tools
> >  configure --with-dahdi=../dahdi-linux
> >  make dahdi_test
> >  modprobe crc_ccitt
> >  insmod ../dahdi-linux/drivers/dahdi/dahdi.ko
> >  insmod ../dahdi-linux/drivers/dahdi/dahdi_dummy.ko
> >
> >  # and now finally test:
> >  ./dahdi_test -v -c 5
> >
> >  # When you're done:
> >  rmmod dahdi_dummy dahdi

Anyway, just did that in a Xen host I have (using Debian Lenny)

The Xen kernel does not have CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS set, I could not
find a working RTC driver, and HZ is set to 250 .

> >> I used Debian for over 10 years but now I got used to CentOS (simply
> >> because it's so much easier to find hosts which support it for my work
> >> needs).
> >
> > I recently looked for unmanaged hosts and there Debian was generally as
> > common as Centos. Most managed hosts used cPanel and alike that I simply
> > can't stand.
>
> I can't stand cPanel either. With Debian hosting at least on one place
> (I think Spry, the parent of VPSLink) I got stuck with an old Debian
> on a Virtuozo VPS which I can't upgrade without just installing the
> machine from scratch (I know Debian supports in-place upgrades, but
> the virtual host setup won't allow this).

This is why I go for unmanaged. The box from which I'm writing this got
upgraded from Etch to Lenny. Generally each Debian system supports the
kernel of the previous distribution.

> >> I don't know Asterisk at all so not sure I should try the latest and
> >> greatest where I'll never know whether something is broken because I
> >> did it wrong or because it's really broken.
> >
> > In that case, latest stable is now branch 1.6.0 (e.g. 1.6.0.5).
>
> It was 1.6rc1

That's 1.6.1-rc1 . That is: a release candidate for the branch 1.6.1 .
A while before that 1.6.0.5 was released, which is the fifth maintinance
release of branch 1.6.0 .

> about three days ago when I looked . I'd rather stick to
> something which reached .23 for now.
>

> > 1.4 is still being maintained, but not sure for how long.
>
> 1.6 was rc1 just this week.
>
> Are you saying that once I decide to go with Asterisk I also have to
> keep close chase of their latest release in order to have it supported
> (i.e. bug and security fixes)?

The closest thing I found for describing it is:
http://www.asterisk.org/node/48539

At the moment 1.4 is still supported, but I'm not sure I'd use it for
new installations.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzaf...@jabber.org | VIM is
tzaf...@cohens.org.il |                    |  best