2009/2/14 Tzafrir Cohen <tzaf...@cohens.org.il>:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 08:05:06AM +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
>> >
>> > But is it actually 1000Hz?
>>
>> How can you tell without access to the kernel config? The CPU MHz is 2200.
>
> The experiment below was for sampling the clock Asterisk would get

OK, I didn't realize that. Will try it later then.

> Anyway, just did that in a Xen host I have (using Debian Lenny)
>
> The Xen kernel does not have CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS set, I could not
> find a working RTC driver, and HZ is set to 250 .

It doesn't necessarily mean that it's the same on my Xen host. As far
as I follow it's a per-kernel-compilation setting.

>> > I recently looked for unmanaged hosts and there Debian was generally as
>> > common as Centos. Most managed hosts used cPanel and alike that I simply
>> > can't stand.
>>
>> I can't stand cPanel either. With Debian hosting at least on one place
>> (I think Spry, the parent of VPSLink) I got stuck with an old Debian
>> on a Virtuozo VPS which I can't upgrade without just installing the
>> machine from scratch (I know Debian supports in-place upgrades, but
>> the virtual host setup won't allow this).
>
> This is why I go for unmanaged. The box from which I'm writing this got
> upgraded from Etch to Lenny. Generally each Debian system supports the
> kernel of the previous distribution.

What do you call "unmanaged"? It's a Virtuozo-style host, so the
kernel is dictated by the hosting env.

The VPSLink service I have is Xen so although they control the kernel
I can pick one of few and probably switch to a new one.

>> It was 1.6rc1
>
> That's 1.6.1-rc1 . That is: a release candidate for the branch 1.6.1 .
> A while before that 1.6.0.5 was released, which is the fifth maintinance
> release of branch 1.6.0 .

OK, I missed that.

>> about three days ago when I looked . I'd rather stick to
>> something which reached .23 for now.
>>

>> > 1.4 is still being maintained, but not sure for how long.
>>
>> 1.6 was rc1 just this week.
>>
>> Are you saying that once I decide to go with Asterisk I also have to
>> keep close chase of their latest release in order to have it supported
>> (i.e. bug and security fixes)?
>
> The closest thing I found for describing it is:
> http://www.asterisk.org/node/48539
>
> At the moment 1.4 is still supported, but I'm not sure I'd use it for
> new installations.

Thanks for the pointer. It looks like the relevant sentence was cut in
the middle:

"With Asterisk 1.4, once Asterisk 1.4.N is released, Asterisk 1.4.X is
no longer supported, where X
http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telephony/asterisk/asterisk-1.6.0.tar.gz";
?

--Amos