Thanks for the various suggestions. But the problem turned out to be much
simpler. It seems that a couple of days ago, something went wrong during a
backup job to a removeable USB disk. I think I know how it happened, but that
is not relevant. The important thing is that the USB disk was unmounted in the
middle of the job and as a result, about 13 Gb of files were written to the /
partition instead of to the removeable drive and that completely filled the
partition.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net