Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

Adb is running on all phones and you don't need to be root to install applications.

The Samsung Galaxy, at least as sold by Cellcom, does not run ADB by default. Even when I set "USB debugging", I cannot see the phone when I do "adb devices", and cannot connect to it (let alone install anything on it).

More important, you can install application by simply downloading an .apk file with the built in browser, assuming you check one checkbox in the GUI settings for security purposes.

I have to admit I was not aware of that option. After checking, I stand corrected. It is, indeed, possible to install 3rd party applications, fairly freely. Why Samsung (or Cellcom) decided to cripple the installation from PC is beyond me, then. Maybe they thought this will prevent people from rooting the machine (which is strange, because the rooting instructions for the device do not require adb).

And last, Google does not validate apps in the market and the developer fee is one time 25$. Not exactly a big barrierr.

Enough of a barrier that most of the free (of charge) applications you actually see there are various variations on the crippleware/adware models, and not so many free (speech).

In other words: what you're talking about, Willis^H^HShahar?

Who is this WillShahar, then?

Allow me to sell you a couple of tips:

   * Ctrl-W erases a whole word.
   * My name is spelled with a "c"