I'd love to know if the Arduino IDE and FTDI USB serial port drivers function properly. Do you have an Arduino, or can you borrow one from someone to test?

Of course the first part (Arduino IDE) can be downloaded for free and tested.

IIRC Ubuntu 9.04 includes the FTDI driver already.

Thanks!
Michael

Boaz Rymland wrote:

Hi all,

So I made the move and bought it. Here are my findings:

*Maker + Model:* Acer 5738ZG. That's a little upgraded in comparison to the original model suggested - with 4GB RAM and NVIDIA GPU. The rest of the specs are the same.

*Distro Installed: *Ubuntu 9.04, amd64.*
*

*Wifi:* worked out of the box (atheros).

*Touchpad:* Worked out of the box, but disabling it and then trying to enable it - it is not enabled, until X (or was it machine?) restart. Anybody got a link for a solution?

*Card Reader:* Worked out of the box, at least with SD card (didn't try other types).

*X: *This laptop model is equipped with NVIDIA G105M chipset. I didn't work out of the box: ubuntu installed its latest nvidia drivers but those were too old to know this card. When vesa or some other default driver was used, X run, but not in optimal resolution and no acceleration. I battled it too much apparently and all you need to do is install the latest drivers from nvidia (185), skipping the ubuntu repos driver, and use a nice(?) xorg.conf I've found on the web (for laptops with my GPU/screen specs).

*Power management:* with the nvidia driver mentioned above used, power management worked perfectly. I configured my laptop to do as I wish upon lead closing (for AC/battery) and it works smoothly. CPU Scaling was also perfectly supported.

*Bluetooth? *not on this model. just ordered a tiny BT USB dongle. Hope that it works... .

*WebCam:* not working out of the box. Haven't really tried setting it up yet.

*Sound:* worked out of the box.

*Anything else? *mail me for questions... .

Boaz.

Boaz Rymland wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone provide feedback on the following Acer laptop, or any other Acer Linux based laptops? (Interestingly, searching for "linux" word in laptop section in zap.co.il shows almost exclusively only Acer results: http://zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=C-PCLaptop&keyword=linux <http://zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=C-PCLaptop&keyword=linux>). In specific - how well all hardware goodies work in linux - power management/scaling, wifi, bluetooth, card reader, X, etc etc...

The model is *Acer Aspire AS5738Z-422G25MN*. It comes with Intel Dual Core T4200 and Intel GMA 4500.

Thanks,

Boaz.