David Harel wrote:
Hi,

I use Ubuntu Jaunty release 9.04.
On my last attempt to update openoffice to 3.1 (from repository: http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu) I noticed that openoffice can't do Hebrew file names anymore. I also got some warnings from other tools such as digikam regarding locale settings.
Digging into this problem I noticed that my LANG env is set to "C":
$ echo $LANG

When I set it to: LANG=en_US.UTF-8 , both openoffice and digikam were fine. I also noticed that when I login on text mode (such as ssh localhost) I get the LANG settings as expected: en_US.UTF-8

Also I just tried to update my system and I tried to remove all my dot files and I tried to switch from xfce4 to Gnome but nothing seems to resolve this problem.
Any idea?
I don't know about Ubuntu, but in Debian these variables are set either in /etc/default/locale or /etc/environment. Also, the "official" way of changing those is by doing "dpkg-reconfigure locales" as root.

Hope this helped.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh