Diego Iastrubni wrote:
On Friday 25 September 2009 00:15:40 Shachar Shemesh wrote:
I don't know about Ubuntu, but in Debian these variables are set either
in /etc/default/locale or /etc/environment. Also, the "official" way of
changing those is by doing "dpkg-reconfigure locales" as root.

On Debian/Ubuntu, "dpkg-reconfigure locales" is a light wrapper around localgegen (I think, I am currently on Fedora...). On Mandriva, you can install each one of those locales by an rpm instead of generating them on your machine. If you want to change the locale of your system, this is a mandatory step.

However it does not change the locale.
localegen doesn't. dpkg-reconfigure locales does. It does both.

What I usually do (works on Debian/Ubuntu/Mandriva/Fedora) is:

locale > ~/.i18n

and then edit ~/.i18n as needed. Here it is on my machine:
[elc...@pinky ~] cat /home/elcuco/.i18n
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Okay. Not optimal, but will do.
LC_CTYPE="he_IL.UTF-8"
Yes, that usually complements the first.
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
Unnecessary. These default to the locale if not set.
LC_ALL=
Dangerous. If this is set, it overrides everything else.

Personally, I think setting LANG to he_IL.UTF-8, and then set LC_MESSAGES to en_US to make the interface language remain in English.

And if you want it set globally, /etc/default/locale is still a better place to put these lines.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.