Noam Rathaus wrote:
Shachar,

{ } in Perl are casting when they surround a value
And the second set of { } around the 'a' mean variable of Hash

Grumble grumble grumble....

Okay, I'm sorry for being difficult. I really couldn't find the answer in the Perl documentation.

I understand the second set of curly braces. I also, somewhat, understand that the -> replaces the % (i.e. - reference dereferencing). What I'm not so clear is what the first set of curly braces do (what do you mean by "casting" - casting to what? How is that decided?). I'm also not clear on why the surrounding round brackets are needed. I understand they are so this will be a list context, but I don't understand why it's needed once I put a @ to dereference the array.

Thanks,
Shachar

foreach my $elem (@{$ref->{a}})

--