Erez D wrote:

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shac...@shemesh.biz <mailto:shac...@shemesh.biz>> wrote:

    Erez D wrote:

    On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Shachar Shemesh
    <shac...@shemesh.biz <mailto:shac...@shemesh.biz>> wrote:

        Erez D wrote:

        when i write a program, i expect to get the same behaviour
        which doesn't depend on the WM.
        however: Traditional window managers reparent the window,
        and add the titlebar to the parent.
        compize on the other hand doesn't reparent the window, so
        the behaviour is different.

        Yes, but that's avoiding Nadav's question, which was - why is
        this something for the program to do?

    i have two displays i want one to be a copy of the other, so when
    i move a window on one display, i want it to move to the same
    position in the other.
    Then it seems to me that you are trying to move the wrong window.
    Why not run XMoveWindow not on the window you opened, but walk up
    the parents until you reach the window whose parent is root, and
    move that one?

if i put the parent at x,y -> it will place it at x,y. but that not what i want. if i put my original toplevel at x,y -> i would expect it to be placed at x,y. but no, it places it's parent at x,y, which means it is placed in an offset.

the bottom line: it doesn't matter if i put my window at x,y or it's parent (that belongs to the WM) at x,y -> i get the same result. which is not the result i want.
That depends on what is the x,y you start with. If you start with the x,y of the top window, and set it for the other top window, then you do get exactly what you want.

btw. if i use compiz - it doesn't have a parent. anyway, an app doesn't need to play it differently if it have or doesn't have a WM, or to be dependant on which WM it has.
I think the algorithm I gave should work regardless of which WM, but I haven't checked it.

    And please, if you think differently, say why.

because it tested it (with my code).
with reparented windows?

Shachar

--