On Monday 10 May 2010 07:05:03 Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> I remeber a few times where users of this mailing list were arguing that
> ubuntu is a very problematic distribution.
> I'm evaluating a distribution for developer desktop.
> Ubuntu seems fitting mainly due to the hardware detection and the ease of
> configuration. Also, it has up to date versions of many desktop packages.
> I'll be happy to know which problems did you have with the Ubuntu
> distribution.
> Googling with Ubuntu problems etc, did not help me find any
> *informative*list of problems.

I once had a white Ford Fiesta that was giving me engine trouble. Can someone
send me an *informative* list of problems in Ford cars (preferably white) and
how they solved it?

That's pretty much what you wrote.

Every Ubuntu release has a wiki page with known issues. Ubuntu has a bug
tracking system that you can also use to see what problems currently exist
and are open - *for your hardware*. If you want an informative list, that's
the one. Everything else is personal experience from a tiny sample size that
might be completely different from your own use case.

To get some meaningful response, it would help if you specify your hardware
(or should we guess?) what version of Ubuntu you were trying, what kind of
problems you were having and most importantly, what is your alternative to
Ubuntu.

> (Obviously, this is *not *ment to be a discussion (or even worse, a flame
> war) about which distribution is better, but a listing of common problems
> typical to Ubuntu, and how are they solved with other distributions)

Ubuntu has been around for almost 6 years. I doubt there is something
like "problems typical to Ubuntu".

- Aviram