From: linux-il-boun...@cs.huji.ac.il [mailto:linux-il-boun...@cs.huji.ac.il]
On Behalf Of Steve G.
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 6:05 AM
To: linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject: Laptop

My 4+ year old Macbook is dying a slow death, and I am contemplating getting
a new laptop and would like your advice. Here are the parameters:

*        My environment is Linux, Ubuntu for the last 2-3 years, and I would
like to have it available to me on the laptop if I can. I have little use
for either Mac OS-X or Windows as far as actually making much use of the
software, beyond vary basic usage (iTunes, VLC, etc.). Linux is a different
story.

*        I have several reasons to buy a Windows 7 machine. First, I have a
Magellan GPS that only works with Windows. Second, some bank accounts
require it to fully function. Third, I can get a lot more computer for the
money with Wintel than with Apple. Last, Ubuntu Laptops with the latest
hardware may or may not work.

*       So, I am thinking about getting a 64x, core i3 laptop from Toshiba
or Dell. These are available with 13-15" screen, 250-350GB HD (I think IDE,
some are Sata but more expensive), 3-4GB RAM. In theory, at least, these can
be virtualized, and I should be able to run either vmware, xen, virtual box
or whatever client MS provides for free. One can get core i3 for around $500

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know if Win7 includes a virtualization program that would
allow me to run Linux under it? How efficient is it - will I be able to put
it on full screen, forget I am running Windows, and use my preferred
environment?

2. Any recommendations for something that is fully compatible with Linux, in
case I get an alternative and can get rid of the windows part?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks!

Z.
--