If I understand your question then you want to treat a disk image stored
inside a none-disk (e.g. a Logical Volume or even a regular file) as a
physical disk and access the partition inside it.

In that case "kaprtx" is your friend, something like:

losetup -f /dev/vgname/lvname
kpartx -a -v /dev/loopN

now you can access the partitions inside it (e.g. "vgchange -ay
internal-vgname", "mount", "resizefs" etc)

to reverse:

umount/vgchange -an/...
losetup -a # to find which loop device you need to deactivate
kpartx -d /dev/loopN
losetup -d /dev/loopN

Did I get it?

--Amos