2012/2/5 Boaz Rymland <boaz.ryml...@gmail.com>

> of course the whole reason to this thread and me contacting the principal
> is the fsck'ed up document. The document appears badly in LibreOffice
> and Google docs (imported). I verified this since sept. 1st till now, on a
> weekly basis. Yes, OO does read the document and sort of presents the data
> within, including ok hebrew but I don't want and deserve to do guess work
> or work harder to try to read a basic document I need to get. I want it to
> be perfectly accessible to me, at least it is for M$ Office users.

How about suggesting that such docs should be exported into HTML (which
Word is capable of doing, IIRC) before emailing? It would be nice if the
creator could look at the HTML in a browser to verify that it looks OK. of
course, the browser is likely to be IE 32-bit...

> I do think that there's a valid point here nevertheless - saving ink on
> rather useless images, even if sometimes appropriate, is a good practice.
> Kids should be taught the same as well.

A war story: some years ago I was teaching at Haifa U, and before each
lecture I would post the slides on a website. After a couple of lectures
some students approached me and asked to remove the university logo from
the slides - it turned out that it was heavy and slow to print even in
black and white, on a university (let alone home) printer. I complied, of
course, and my slides remained logoless for years.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | o...@goldshmidt.org