Hi all,

I'm running FC12 with a 2.6.35.4 vanilla kernel on a x86_64.

When I opened Google Chrome last (I don't use it a lot), the computer froze completely for a minute, no mouse movement, no response to CTRL-Alt-F2, and the clock didn't change. The hard disk was highly active. After that minute, all resumed to normal, and the Chrome browser started as if nothing had just happened.

It then turned out that 2 GB of RAM had been swapped to disk.

My computer has 16 GB of RAM, out of which 9.7 GB were used at that moment. I have 4 GB of swap space allocated as a shock absorber, and it's normally around no more than a few MBs (why not just zero?).

I ran swapoff and swapon, and the used swap space now stands steadily at zero. Which is where I expect it to be.

Chrome is Version 19.0.1084.46, running natively in 64 bits (detected as 64-bit ELF).

Any idea what happened? In particular, why triggered the swap for no apparent reason?

TAI,

    Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il